Monday 9 March 2009

Thoughts on doing a PhD

Re-reading the Oxford University PhD prospectus, I was surprised to discover that I hadn't actually missed the deadline to apply for a start this autumn. So today was spent examining the forms in detail, sketching out possible answers and so on.

This has arisen out of the latest deliberations related to working again. At a pinch, it is not really necessary for me to work again, but there are arguments for doing so, the main one of which is that it would mean that the "at a pinch" would be replaced with something more comfortable. I had looked at various interim positions, then at some full time ones I could perhaps do for 18 months or so. However the economic situation is not helping and there is a good chance that I am caught in a poor period to execute this plan.

So this has raised the option of changing track and doing the PhD earlier, then looking for something afterwards. This is not a great plan by any means, and the chances of being able to do an application in just a few days are not good. Indeed, the tentative conclusion of today's work, is that it won't be possible toapply this week. More thought is need (afterall it took me several weeks to do my MSc application)

So probably a wasted day in the end

No comments: