Sunday 31 May 2009

The redemptive qualities of art?

Things remain difficult. One person's mood has wildly swung back to positive from some pretty gloomy depths - a good illustration of how the act of expressing certain ideas causes them to be lifted, a common psychotherapy effect of course. It is almost as if nothing happened previously.

But for me, these events do change things, and I don't just swing back in the same way. Indeed, the manner in which such swings occur is, itself, one of the main negatives of this process for me - I tend to view the negative mood was more authentic in some way.

For the last few days I have sought some refuge in art, of all things. I have been working my way through Richard Long's "Walking the Line", deeply impressed by the range of locations mentioned and how it is clear that to live such a life is more in keeping with my own philosophy of life than those of most other people. In the evenings I have been working on some photos from our recent trip to Wales (the forest photos uploaded previously). I am not really that knowledgeable about Photoshop but I have been working my way through some of the bits I do know, tweaking brightness and contrast levels, adding a slight grain where there was none before, and so.

Six have been printed out on glossy photo paper - with the printer set at highest quality, resulting in each print taking 15 minutes. The results are far above my expectations. Some of the most beautiful pictures I have ever taken. I have framed them and am now planning where best to hang them. I have even sent one to a photo print shop in Oxford where they can print an A3 copy, and am very excited about getting this back in a few days time.
.
The picture sent to become A3 sized - actually not my favourite initially, but the framed A4, heavily-processed print is wonderful in my view

All this produces the expected response that I have been wasting my time again, but I see the time I have spent on this as a life-saver and as providing a way to feel a bit better going forward. The redemptive power of art I expect . . . . .

No comments: