Thursday 3 May 2018

Reading Viv Albertine

I have just finished re-reading Viv Albertine's autobiography and am starting on her new book, To Throw away Unopened.  The first book was one of the best of the recent music books I have read, comparable to Kim Gordon's book and better than Brix Smith's though I enjoyed all three.

I remember hearing the two Slits Peel session soon after I had first started to listen to John Peel every night and I remember talking to people at school about them - the amazing amateurishness!  I was 14 when the Peel sessions went out and have to admit to really fancying Viv Albertine when I was that age

Live in 1980 or so - the Allie Pallie gig


and she's very fancy-able now too


The new book is written in a very episodic style which I am rather enjoying - more like a blog than a book perhaps



No comments: