Monday 27 November 2017

Alpe d'Huez training programme at Nov 27th 2017

I have filmed myself doing some indoor training and have some grandiose plans to publish two Alpe d'Huez-related films on Youtube next year.  The first will be a film of my actually ascent which I plan to do as a film that people can do as a turbo session.  Secondly, I am thinking about doing a film called something like "How I trained at 55 years old, to climb Alp d'Huez in 65 minutes" - that is assuming I can do it in 65 minutes, which is 25 minutes faster than my current PB!

The key is going to be losing enough weight to really get to a decent power-to-weight ratio.  I read an article that suggested that a 65 minute ascent requires an FTP to weight ratio of above 3.  For instance, an FTP of 230 watts and and a weight of 75 kgs.  My FTP is about 195 at the moment and my weight is quite a bit above 75 kgs, so my current ratio is about 2 and a bit.  A pro ratio has a ratio of around 5 or 6!

So along way to go then!


I do look like I am building up a good sweat though


The goal - Alpe d'Huez.  Rumours are that it is in next year's Tour de France route


No comments: