Tuesday 3 December 2013

Reading about art for the first time in ages

There was a small selection of art-related books on offer at Waterstones a few weekends and I acquired two, which I have read over the last week or so.  This is the first reading about art I have done for ages.

First up, Sarah Thornton's book about the contemporary art scene.  I'm sure I read something like this a few years ago, but nonetheless, this is a really excellent book.  The art market is absurd!

Also raising similar issues, but in a different way, is a book about an art forger.  This highlights the issue of the way art is valued - the picture doesn't change but its value depends on attribution and can change dramatically on re-attribution.  Which doesn't make a lot of sense when you think about it  

There are one or two other books about forgers or art thieves that I might try and have a look at soon.  And perhaps it is time to watch The Girl with the Pearl Earring again

No comments: