Wednesday 13 March 2013

Daughter is accepted to Oxford for her PhD with funding

An urgent skype message greats me at 5:30 this morning.  Daughter has been awarded full funding from Oxford for her PhD.  All her university and college fees plus an annual stipend of nearly £17,000 for each of the next four years starting this October.

I have a chat to Daughter who is understandably very excited (and which is therefore affecting her attempts at mindfull, living in the moment during her yoga course).  Afterwards I call Wife at just after 6:00am her time.  It has not escaped my notice that this probably saves Wife and I the best part of £30,000 compared to what our budgeting discussions had suggested some months ago.

So Daughter has accepted the funding and had to produce a short research proposal during the day today.  Then there are some formalities to accept the actual Oxford offer.  She will turn down Trinity, Cambridge then - I wonder how many people get offers from both?

And this will mean that Daughter will be living just 10 miles away.  We can see her more often without being in each others pockets . . .

On all counts, some of the best news ever.

No comments: