Sunday 14 October 2012

Furniture projects 3 and 4

Project 3 is a large chest of drawers that I have purchased new from a local junk yard.


As bought, but with the top drawers out for painting

The first step is to paint the inside of the drawers, for which I use "Primer Red"


The shell of the book case is then painted grey


At this stage, I had decided to paint some of the front of the drawers in the same red as the interior


But then changed my mind and thought a white might look nice over the red


Which I decided it didn't


Even after a coat of clear wax


The frame was distressed with dark wax



And I finally decided to paint the front trim in white rather than the red / white as above


So this is the final version


Versus this, which is a shot from Annie Sloan's book: Quick and Easy Piant Transformations


 
Project 4 is a 1920s china cabinet that had been up in the loft of the garage for many years.  I think it originally belonged to my great-grandfather.


The interior was painted grey


And some cloth trim was attached to the back and bottom of the interior.  New, wooden shelves were put in, painted the same grey as the rest of the interior.


And finally the outside was painted Charcoal grey and lightly distressed after waxing


I'm very pleased with this piece indeed

No comments: