Wednesday 11 January 2012

First fishing trips of 2012

So I have been on my first two trips of 2012.

The first was an evening to Duxford loop after chub (and with thoughts of a barbel campaign here as well). The walk down from Duxford itself reveals literally dozens of possible chub swims, mainly various tree rafts. I planned to fish a sequence of four or five swims about 3/4 mile from Duxford Ford. In each case, the swims were baited with bread, hemp and halibut pellets and the intention was to fish with crust or meat. I am not quite up to the technicalities of hair rigging pellets, but will have that sorted out soon.

The swims chosen were decidedly chubby, yet I only managed a couple of bites, which I proceeded to miss. So a slightly disheartening first trip blank. But on the upside, I have started to get a feel for the characteristics of a few swims, ready for next time.

One of the rafts at Duxford

My next trip was a spur of the moment decision to go out the next morning down to the Windrush. For some reason I had got it into my head that I would like to try trotting with my centre pin reel. However I am not very good at this type of fishing and with the bank rather overgrown with various dead plants, I was continually tangling. Once or twice everything went ok, and it was rather fun, but I only stuck it out for an hour or so. Next time I want to go trotting, I will choose a better venue - the Windrush is definitely a ledgering venue.

No comments: