Tuesday 22 November 2011

Kidney Stones??

I am woken, early Sunday morning, with a pain in my right flank - the area above my hips but below my waist. I think it might be kidney related pain, perhaps due to dehydration after having had a few drinks last night. On a scale of 1 to 10, the pain is about 1-2.

But half an hour or so later, things have taken a marked change. The pain level is excruciating, maybe a 6-7. Indeed I can't remember the last time I had such a pain. Then, in the space of 5 minutes, it disappears completely.

I am reminded of a former work colleague from years ago, who had a similar experience at work one time, also over in 3-45 mins. A quick look on Wikipedia suggests that a kidney stone would be the perfect explanation for location, intensity and duration.

The pain is gone completely now and I am not sure what I should do next. In the short term, I am following some advice on the website and am drinking more - with bitter lemon replacing coke. Perhaps if it happens again I will consider seeing the doctor - which would be my first trip to our doctor in 15 years.

No comments: