Wednesday 28 September 2011

More amazing music - Hildur Gudnadottir

Once in a while it is important to inject some randomness into the way I select new music. I have forgotten to download my last three month's entitlement from emusic.com and only went on today because I had received an email from Amazon suggesting I buy the new Snakefarm cd (and which I downloaded instead).

My random search today settled on the category of "modern classical". A few cds of Arvo Part and Phillip Glass of course, but also some from Touch records with rather nice minimalist covers. Among these were two downloads by Hildur Gudnadottir, the full cd "Without Sinking" and the one track ep, "Iridescence". I was vaguely aware of her name via Mum and Pan Sonic, but was totally unprepared for the wonders of these two recording. Droning cello, weird electronic noises, the occasional other instrument in the background. As far as I am concerned, this is just about perfect. The louder you play these tracks, the more detail you can here. Extraordinary

I have listened to the 11 mins and 20s of "Iridescence" maybe a dozen times today.


As near to musical perfection as it can be - Hildur Gudnadottir


No comments: