Sunday 1 May 2011

Downloads from emusic.com

I had thought that my subscription to emusic.com had lapsed a year or so ago, but it turns out it hadn't (and I have wasted £120 in the last year by not downloading my monthly allowance). Back in the early 2000s, I was a huge fan of emusic.com. Indeed, there are many bands that I would not have ever come across if it wasn't for this site - Blonde Redhead, Songs Ohia, even early Cat Power.

And it seems I have a very select type of membership entitling me to around 90 tracks per month for £12, versus the 42p a track standard costing. So it is perhaps worth my while to stay a member for a few more months at least.

So today I downloaded 90 tracks, including 3 albums by Pete Namlook, of which I already think the track Asbendos from Silence V is superb; a cd of Gallon Drunk Live which I also expect to be great, two cds of Tibetan Buddhist Monks chanting; a solo cd by Cosey Fanni Tutti of Throbbing Gristle; the Boris and Ian Astbury album, and various "dark ambient / drone" pieces. I notice that you are not allowed to download single tracks of greater than 10 mins in length any more. Sneaky pricing change I thought. Next month I will download some cds I saved - mainly Steve Roach ambient stuff.

No comments: