Thursday 24 February 2011

Mogwai in Oxford

It is half-term week and Linda has decided to accompany me to another concert after the success of seeing Hawkwind before Christmas. Tonight it is Mogwai at the Regal in Oxford. They are one of the few bands that I have bought pretty much all their records as they have come out. Their new album was released this week, but for the last two weeks I have been listening to a live concert recording of them in London to a small audience prior to this main tour getting going.

As expected, a show made up of lots of repetitive musical structures played at various volumes. Such a musical structure always reminds me of 1970s King Crimson. I have no idea why it is so effective, but bits of the show were quite magical, even though they didn't play 2 Right, my favourite track from the live show I downloaded.

Linda is left with ringing ears. No sure if the music was to her taste, but at least it was a rare evening out. I was reminded the other day about a show I saw back in 1987, Swans at the Town and Country Club in London. I didn't take Linda to that one - boy was that loud.


"Five balding 40 year olds from Scotland" according to one of the reviews I read of the Hoxton show. Is that a bad thing?

No comments: