Monday 29 November 2010

Throbbing Gristle - the death of Peter Christopherson

Today's Independent has an obituary for Peter "Sleazy" Christopherson who has died suddenly. Coming into serious music in the late 1970s, there was always one band who were really right on the edge, Throbbing Gristle. I arrived in London just after they had broken up but would have definitely wanted to see them live. I remember going to see the film Journey through a Body to which they had done the soundtrack - very intense.

TG have been back together over the last few years. A couple of albums and some live shows. I have heard one or two and have quite enjoyed hearing Hamburger Lady with modern equipment. But my main interest in Peter Christopherson was always his band Coil. They produced some really way out stuff that I have been working through slowly over the past few years. Excellent stuff

It says that he was currently working on a new TG album - a cover version of Nico's Desertshore. As this is one of my favourite albums, I would have been extremely interested in a TG cover version. I wonder if that will ever appear.

Performing with TG at the Coachella Festival in 2009

A very early shot of TG - Christopherson is on the left!

The first TG record I ever bought - such a great title and cover. I wonder how many people mistakenly bought this (maybe for an older relative who they thought liked jazz!)

No comments: