Monday 22 November 2010

An old video of Abba

Occasionally I come across repeats of Top of the Pops from years ago. Some have even gone back to the late 1960s, but most seem to be late 1970s to early 80s. I have just been watching one from November 3rd 1977. The Jam kick off with This is the Modern World, The Carpenter's Calling Occupants of Inter-planetary craft, the quite appalling Barron Knights, Queen with We are the Champions, Legs and Co dancing to something I don't recognise, Status Quo, David Bowie performing Heroes, but without the Robert Fripp guitar track, and then the truly awful Showwaddywaddy.

But then, at number one, comes Abba's The Name of the Game, in my view one of the finet records of all time. The greatest statement of the existential horror that would underlie all of Abba's greatest songs.


But I think I can see in your face, there's a lot you can teach me - what can she mean?

They are, of course, playing ludo in the video

No comments: