Sunday 21 November 2010

Ginsberg's Howl and some Kerouac recordings

A long article in the weekend papers on Allen Ginsberg to mark an imminent movie about the Howl trial. I haven't read this for years, but have listened recently to a recording of Ginberg reading it. I was rather surprised by this. I had expected a vitriolic performance, but actually it was quite low key. One or two other Ginsberg recordings in the same set, including Kaddish Pt 1, which I now aim to listen to soon

He was always a fun sort of guy!

I have also got some recordings of Jack Kerouac delivering some of his poetry - mainly fragments of San Francisco Blues. And a recent(ish) documentary on Kerouac that I remember seeing when it was on tv years ago and which I'd quite like to see again

Also lurking somewhere is an audio book of Ginsberg reading The Dharma Bums - by far my favourite Jack Kerouac book. Like virtually everyone else who reads this, I am completely taken with the character based on Gary Snyder. He is probably the last of the Beats to remain alive. I was somewhat shocked to discover the other day that I have about 20 books of Snyder's or about Snyder.

Not my favourite cover art for The Dharma Bums!

No comments: