Sunday 3 October 2010

Reading The Marquis de Sade

A month or two back I watched the movie Quills, starring Geoffrey Rush and Kate Winslett and based on the life of the Marquis de Sade. I rather enjoyed this and have been inspired, in this post MSc period (focused mainly on trading), to read something more of the Marquis writings

Geoffrey Rush as the Marquis de Sade, with Kate Winslett

Kate Winslett being flogged - bound to happen in such a film one might think
.
I have also recently downloaded an episode on the Marquis de Sade from the Channel Four Masters of Darkness series. This was a surprisingly academic programme featuring Camilla Paglia and Andrea Dworkins among others.
.
I have also come across an old film from the 1970s - a version of de Sade's Justine staring the rather gorgeous Koo Stark. I hadn't thought anything about her for years, but I do remember her as someone that most of us at school had rather a crush on in the late 1970s/early 80s.


So on from there to The Marquis de Sade: A Very Short Introduction by someone called John Phillips from the excellent Oxford University Press series, to be followed by the novel Justine which I bought a secondhand copy of this week

Somewhere we have a copy of the collected works of the Marquis de Sade - one of the many books "lost" in the garage in a box somewhere.

No comments: