Thursday 1 April 2010

Last biography class

I missed the penultimate biography class last week and tonight was the actual last one. The last two sessions are taken up with us reading from our own work. I didn't have anything to read and only got started on something this afternoon around 2:00p.m. My chosen writing was a selection of episodes from Kepler's life broadly drawn from the theme of religious confessionalisation. It ended up showing that such a topic will clearly be one that is scattered among a full biography rather than gathered together into a single topic. But I was quite happy with what I'd put together and the feedback was ok. Nicki in particular had some good points, but then her background is more academic than the others.

Only two others did a reading today - indeed virtually all the people who read last week failed to turn up tonight. But Katie did do a reading from her proposed biography of a Tibetan Lama who she knows well. This seems a well developed project already. Katie mentioned that she had been to Tibet several times and was thinking also of writing a travel book. I would be very pleased to read both at some point.

We had time for a quick drink afterwards. This course has been quite surprising to me - much more academically challenging than I had expected, and all the better for this. Once again I am left wondering whether any of us will keep in touch. Our email addresses have been swapped, so who knows.

No comments: