Thursday 22 April 2010

Final tweaks to trading ideas before going properly live

I am making the final little changes to my selected trading systems - the main change has been to include the US markets in the overall model, with a current weighting of UK:US of about 60:40. The UK market is tremendously international (there are quite a number of stocks within the FT 100 that I know nothing about). And perhaps surprisingly, the two aren't locked together during the day. So there will be seven systems applied to two markets (rather than the four applied to one that I was looking at this time last week)

In the meantime, a new PC has arrived. The laptop (on which I am writing this) is simply not up to running the programmes needed. In the couple of hours it takes me to set up the PC, I would have missed a really good 60pt move - just shows you that you can't take your eyes off the markets during the trading day. The new PC is lovely - especially the 24" screen. I now have to learn my seventh or eighth operating system - Windows 7.

The other main development today has been the development of a bookkeeping regime - mainly focused on the intra-day trading positions. Not a bad first effort, but will probably go through dozens of changes (as my spreadsheets always seem to do) - not much MSc work going on at the moment I have to admit

I have finished the book on the Paulson hedge funds - Zuckerman's The Greatest Trade Ever. In the light of the current Goldman Sachs case, this book is really clear on the inherent huge risk being taken by those who expected the market to fall. I think that Goldman is the victim of political events and will be fully vindicated - this looks like a prime example of hindsight bias, about which I have been reading in the last week or so

Next book - Emanuel Derman's My Life as a Quant. I already have a copy of this somewhere - no idea where so I had to buy a new copy. Always annoying when that happens, but it seems to happen with increasing regularity

No comments: