Tuesday 16 March 2010

Another 3 day "shakedown" and more early punk

Day two of my latest trading "shakedown" and the sideways, non-trending continues. The daily swings are so small that the main counter-trend system that I use is failing to signal sufficiently extreme conditions to generate any trades at all - now that doesn't happen very often. And of course the main trend-following system is getting whip-sawed. Still I have been able to programme in some of the supporting material that I need.

For the best couple of days I have been reading Pablo Triana's Lecturing Birds on Flying, about the impact of mathematical finance on markets, etc. This is woefully repetitive but does have some good stuff in it. In the back of my mind I also have to think about my upcoming exam in philosophy of economics and this requires that I have some good illustrative case studies. The Black-Scholes option model would be an excellent example I reckon, and there is plenty about this in Triana's book

Yesterday I was somewhat shocked to see on a MOIO website a recording from last week of Penetration in concert. They are apparently currently supporting Stiff Little Fingers on a short UK tour - this recording being from the Assembly rooms in Leamington Spa, a venue I know very well. Of the bands that came through in the period immediately after punk, Penetration were always my favourite. I saw them just once in concert in 1979 or possibly 1980. Pauline Murray was just amazing. Really tiny, but very sexy I thought. The live recording is pretty good and the sequence of Free Money, Silent Community and Don't Dictate brings back many happy memories. I will now be trying to buy a CD copy of Moving Targets - what a treat it would be to hear that again. My copy is on vinyl and we no longer have a record player - how times change

(I did once see Pauline Murray with another band in the early 1980s - not sure of the name, maybe The Invisible Girls. It wasn't the same, but still pretty good. At one time I used to correspond with Peter and Paul Perrett of the band, The Only Ones. They knew Pauline Murray really well apparently, but I was never able to persuade them to help me meet her)

The best "old" picture of Pauline Murray that I could find at short notice. Probably my al time favourite punk singer

The stupendously great Penetration debut album - Moving Targets.
.

And on a completely different matter, several of the papers have published photos of the "supermodel" Lily Cole dressed in a rather extraordinary business suit. No doubt that would cause rather a stir at an office. Mind you, I can think of one or two girls at the various places I've worked who would have looked very good in such an outfit. I am particularly taken by the hat!
.


What the best dressed lady business woman is wearing these days

No comments: