Tuesday 16 February 2010

Pancake Day

Another day in which I feel I have started to make some progress back towards a decent level of productivity - the last two weeks or so have been pretty poor. My current working day is split between academic work and filling various cracks in the floor of Linda's studio - a good half-term week DIY project.

My DIY is accompanied by listening to episode of In our Times on the i-pod. Today's included programmes on the St Bartholomew's Day Massacre, Infinity, Supernova and Spinoza. The 40 minute length of these is a rather nice marker of the passage of time

Upstairs, my academic work is focused on Latin and various chapters from The Cambridge Companion to Reformation Theology. It is accompanied today by two videos that I have recently come across. Firstly, a performance by Bat for Lashes in Spain last year with nice versions of Glass, Prescilla and Daniel. The lead singer certainly has some great outfits!


Bat for Lashes at the Primavera Festival, Barcelona, 2009

Secondly, an amateur video of Lush at the Electric Ballroom in Camden in 1996. I had a ticket for this but couldn't go because of excessive work. I am reminded once again how exotic looking Miki was (and probably still is)

The lovely Miki
.
The redemptive power of music again
.
And today is pancake day. Emma reminded me of this the other day and said how sad she was not to be at home where we could have done pancakes together. I certainly have many happy memories of past pancake days. Unfortunately, I forgot to buy more milk today and so I didn't have pancakes either
.
No doubt they would have looked just like this if I had made them

No comments: