Saturday 20 February 2010

A memory from years ago that sprang up today

Another quiet Saturday working (but not very well). Suddenly a memory flashes into my head for no good reason. I often wish I wrote down every such event. Over time I would accumulate a fine work of literature - or not.

One Saturday afternoon I was walking home from town when I met two girls from school. I happened to mention that my parents were away for the weekend and so they decided it would be a good idea to come round that night. Who was I to argue against this?

My parents were tea total but received wine from friends each Christmas, etc. A large number of bottles had accumulated over the years. Three or four bottles of red would be drunk that night.

I had (and still have of course) a somewhat eclectic taste in music. At one point I put Fripp and Eno's Evening Star on the record player, side 2, the long track, An Index of Metals - still one of the most amazing tracks ever recorded in my view. We listen to it several times through that evening, each time more drunk of course.

Eventually my two companions started to discuss how different they look from one another! One was tall and very slim, the other shorter but curvier. Both with shoulder length brunette hair, (my favourite still), one with the most amazing brown eyes (also still my favourite), the other with grey-green, and so on. Each time I was asked what features I prefer and I mumbled accordingly. But then, much to my surprise, the girls decided to get undressed so I could compare them properly -I remember this made quite an impression on me at the time!

This is the only occasion in my life on which I have been in a room with two naked girls! It took place in 1979

Why did this memory suddenly appear in my head today for perhaps the first time in a dozen years? Who knows? I wonder if they still remember that night

Addendum

This morning, I was watching a really old episode from 1978 of Top of the Pops. Kate Bush was number one with Wuthering Heights. One of the two girls above once had a shaggy perm like Kate Bush's. Maybe that's why I suddenly remembered this later in the day.

Can it really be 32 years since Kate Bush was first number one. Recently I have noticed that I definitely experience the events described in Draaisma's book Why life speeds up as you get older.
Teenage Kate - she certainly made a big impression on me!
Mumsy Kate - no doubt would also make a big impression on me!

No comments: