Monday 22 February 2010

Joanna Newsom's new CD and concerts

One of the weekend papers had a long interview with the truly wonderful, Joanna Newsom. Much to my surprise, she has a new triple cd boxset out in a couple of weeks. I came across a recording of her in concert in Australia earlier this year and though this had some new material on it, it gave no indication that the new CD would be quite so long!

I first came across Newsom in a review of her early material in Wired magazine. Then, of course, came the wonder that is the Ys CD - definitely the album of the Millennium in my view and one that I listened to incessantly for a very long period of time. I saw her headline the Friday night at Green Man in 2007 (see very early blog entries for a review of this) and have really enjoyed her live shows with the small band. A bootleg video of her in concert in Philadelphia was also stupendous.

Much excitement about the new CD then. Also she is playing two shows in London at the Royal Festival Hall - I once saw the Cocteau Twins there - and I have scrapped a ticket for the first night, May 11th.

So I have ordered the new CD but then have been greatly tempted by seeing it available from an internet site. In the end I downloaded one track, Have one on me - the title track and longest at 11.02. Hopefully this will keep me going till March 1st and the official release

Photo from one of the full orchestra shows

No comments: