Wednesday 30 December 2009

Organising my trip to Linz - thoughts on summer holidays

Confirmation has come that Linz Opera House does recognise that I bought a ticket for the "Kepler" performance in early January and that I can collect the ticket from the box office on the day. As a result, I have been able to start booking my trip. I have decided to drive to Linz taking in some other places of interest on the way. So the first part of the journey is the ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland - I have an overnight sailing and a cheap inward facing cabin with no windows. I will be taking Emma back to Cambridge that afternoon, sorting out her stuff and then carrying on to Harwich for a 11:45pm departure.

On Thursday I will drive to Heidelberg, which I should reach just after lunchtime, giving me a couple of hours to have a walk round - maybe taking in the "philosopher's way", the walk on the far side of the river. Then, on Friday morning I plan to visit Tubingen and see the University before driving on to Linz, hopefully arriving late afternoon. Then I have Saturday in Linz, where I want to visit the Kepler house at 5 Rathausgasse and the Castle where the Kepler statue is. Then the opera is that night. Finally, on Sunday I have the 1,000km journey back to Hook of Holland for the 10:00pm sailing back!

Linda has also come up with a closely related Italian holiday plan for July in which I will drive to Pisa and meet her there. Then we could go to Florence, Lake Trassimeno, maybe Rome, then on to Naples and Pompeii (which we both really want to visit) and maybe even Sicily. And like France, we hope to stay in some little guesthouses. I am already planning to return to the UK via Graz and Prague and so complete what I have begun to refer to as the "Kepler trail"

No comments: