Tuesday 8 December 2009

Anthony Kenny & PJ Harvey

I wonder if Anthony Kenny and PJ Harvey have ever been mentioned in the same sentence before.

I have been reading Kenny's A Life in Oxford for the past couple of weeks - my current late night read. I had nearly bought this when it was first published in the late 1990s but somehow it slipped through my grasp - but I recently tracked it down on abebooks and paid about twice the price it was back then. Reading this is all part of my attempts to immerse myself in something of the Oxford atmosphere, hopefully as a prelude to getting accepted for my PhD soon.

I have now moved on to his earlier autobiography, A path from Rome - his account of his education and training as a Catholic priest up until the early 1960s when he left the Church. As always, I am deeply impressed by accounts of just how much classic literature was consumed by students in such circumstances. I have read next to nothing of such literature.

And on the subject of PJ Harvey - I have recently downloaded a compilation of videos of her over the past 15 years or so and I was rather shocked to see a film of her from the recent tour with John Parish. She has a long history of weight-related issues and currently is looking rather poorly - probably at least a stone underweight. Yet in contrast, in the film of her performing "Dress" at the V Festival in 2004 she looks terrific. What has gone wrong?

So I have been working my way through all PJ Harvey's cd releases. Of course I used to have a copy of her very rare first cd in the limited edition with the demo versions on it, but sold it for £100 on Amazon a while back. I have also been digging out some live recordings from various sources, including a quite magnificent show from the Royal Court Theatre in London from 2004 which is "semi-acoustic". Has a great version of The darker days of me and him on it.


PJ Harvey live from 2004

She has such great legs when she is a decent weight!

No comments: