Sunday 11 October 2009

Tycho Brahe's collected works & the village wine event

A morning in Oxford; Linda at the hairdressers, me at the Radcliffe Science Library. First task was a review of the volumes of Kepler's Collected Works that I haven't ordered but which are available. Not sure that any of these stood out as essentials at this stage. On the other hand, several of the volumes that I can't currently get are ones I would really like - Volume 10, The Rudolphine Tables and the two missing volumes of letters, volumes 16 and 17.

But I also wanted to have a good look through the RSL's 15 volume edition of The Collected Works of Tycho Brahe as I have seen a set of these advertised recently. The RSL edition is the 1906 onwards printing and is everything you would like an old edition to be. The first few volumes cover his most famous works, later ones are mainly letters and observation note books. Back home, it seems that one of the sellers of this might be willing to sell individual volumes for about E80 each. I might be very tempted by volumes 1 to 5 say.


The frontpiece of Tycho's Astronomiae Instauratae Progymmasmata, Introduction to the Instauration (restoration) of Astronomy

Tonight it was the more-or-less annual "Wine, call my bluff" in the village. Linda has arranged for us to be on a table with our neighbours, Debbie and Roy, and we also have one of Linda's pilates customers, Fiona. I am nominated to be the table's captain and do a fine job of marshalling our table's thoughts on which wine is which. Sadly we don't maximise the value of our joker and I suspect that this costs us the win. Despite getting five of the six wines right, we finish third. As with last year, this is a very good evening. Most tables are ful of Linda's customers it seems!

No comments: