Wednesday 14 October 2009

Pressure of work forces change in plans already

I feel that I really ought to focus carefully on time management this term. I have to prioritize effectively. This last week has rather run away with me. I haven't yet done the Latin homework for Friday, nor the biography homework (for which I can't remember the task). I have read only two-thirds of one of the two Philosophy of Economics readings, and have made no progress on the comet piece for John Milton to review.

On the other hand, I have prepared some detailed notes on Keplerian astronomy after Kepler which have prompted some interesting thoughts about future work. Yet this work was not part of this week's work plans at all - just a whim that results in me being deflected from the tasks at hand for quite a few hours

So today, only in week 2 of term, I have skipped a trip to London for the P of E lecture and seminar, instead doing a morning's work here. Will that be the pattern for the rest of term? So I catch up with some things, fall further behind with others. I must psyche myself up to definitely go tomorrow though. I wonder of some of the reason for missing today is due to the really early start required to get me to LSE for a 9:00am lecture?

And then two weeks from now we will be in France and I will miss everything. Our trip is now fully booked. A B'n'B near Bordeaux, then hotels near Carcassonne, Avignon and Cahors, all booked through Expedia. The wine budget is just about set and I am pondering on what reading to take. I don't want it to be too academic, but I would like it to be reasonably serious. Maybe the biography of Hannah Arendt that has just arrived or the volume of Arendt-Heidegger letters. Maybe Westfall's Never at Rest, though that might be a bit much. But taking the Land Rover enables more books that we would usually take.

No comments: