Thursday 22 October 2009

Getting ready for PhD application, etc

As we get ready for the French trip I am trying to get as much of the PhD application underway as I can. I have sent emails to John and Miklos, my professional referees. The Oxford application requires that references are received by the due date (Nov 20th) and so I have had to explain the process to them both and try to get them onside for that date. I wonder if this will turn out to be the hardest task?

I have printed out some pages from the 2009/10 Oxford prospectus, and copies of the two essays that I intend to enter as examples of my written work, after some editing. Then there are some pages from a website aimed at helping prospective PhD students write their proposals. I have just about got my proposal worked out, but it isn't written yet, so any advice to to be welcomed despite this website being aimed mainly as scientists.

Now down to last minute packing before France - mainly what reading to take. I have settled on Sobel's Galileo's Daughter as being easy reading but still on my main themes. Also Annan's The Dons and a small selection of magazines

No comments: