Saturday 17 October 2009

Cold coming on, A Don's Life

The last day or so has suggested that I might be coming down with a cold, despite taking lots of tablets of various sorts. This is terrible timing. Term has only just started and I am just finding my feet with the new course. We are getting reading for the trip to France (in which of course I lose a week's work). I am trying to get a plan in place in which I can get my Oxford PhD plan in by the November 20th deadline, but this will involve a huge effort. So not good timing to be feeling unwell.

Mary Beard's It's a Don's Life has been published a week or two earlier than I expected. I always feel that there is not enough written stuff about academic life, so this is a very pleasant arrival, even if it is highlight from her blog. Perhaps if I am unwell for the next few days I should concentrate on reading this. I am impressed already by the comment that she has such a busy day-to-day routine that she has to do her own work in the libraries in the evening, especially Saturdays. Whenever we are in Oxford on a Saturday night, I am always impressed by how many people are working in the Said Business School. I'm not sure I would be among them.

No comments: