Sunday 16 August 2009

Scotland Trip - Day One

After packing a surprisingly large amount of electronic equipment (laptop, camera, phone charger, music system) I am on my way by 7:00.

There is something zen-like in long-distance driving - something I became very aware of in Europe last summer. Today I would cover 520 miles in batches of three hours at a time. Traffic is light and I have a more reliable music system for playing the ipod. So Bat for Lashes, Primus and Tinariwen are my morning listening until the football is on the radio in the afternoon.

Heavy rain around Manchester and the Lake District and a brief stop at Knutsford for one of the worst breakfasts I have ever had on a motorway. Good progress after that and I make it to Loch Lomond by about 4:00, by which time Linda is home from her parents and we can have a quick catch up.

The last 50 miles to Fort William follow the rough route of the West Highland Way which I walked back in 1990. The poor weather finally broke and I was able to take some photos on Rannoch Moor and Glen Coe.

Food in Fort William reading "Getting it Published" - already an eye-opening book on what is involved in "serious" publishing. I finally stopped about 20 miles past Fort William on the way to Mallaig. Parked up on a side road near a small church for the night sleeping on the back seat of the Land Rover - not as bad as across the front seat as usually happened in Europe.

Ben Lomond - high on the east side of Loch Lomond. When I walked the West Highland Way back in 1990, I elected not to take in the optional ascent of the Ben. Although this occurs in the first third of the walk, I was more concerned about the last third!

High on Rannoch Moor - heavy clouds back towards Loch Lomond

The changing light in the early evening - not the greatest exposure.

In some ways, a more interesting exposure - perhaps not better than the previous

Parked up towards the end of Rannoch Moor

Glen Coe - can't remember whether the massacre that occured here was by the horrible English over the friendly, god-fearing Scots, or was between two Scottish clans

Interesting textures and colours past Glen Coe

No comments: