Tuesday 4 August 2009

Sarah Dunant quote

I am about one-third of the way through Sarah Dunant's Sacred Hearts. I have been extremely impressed with this so far and am savouring it at 15 pages a day rather than race through it as I'd like to do. In the acknowledgements at the end is a comment on the help from the British Library who delivered truckloads of books - and the bibliography (in a work of fiction) suggests a serious research effort. But a more important quote for me is one that thanks a guy for "suffering alongside me when the going got really rough" I may be wrong but I have in mind that I read in a recent interview or an article by Dunant that this book had taken her several years to write.

As I do preliminary research for my biography target, I have come to see this sort of time period as being very possible. I am also very aware that writing is very tough. I am currently working on an extended piece about attitudes to astrology among "natural philosophers" in the late sixteenth / early seventeenth century. Progress is very slow!

Nonetheless, my project is really exciting me at the moment and I am having little trouble with motivating myself to work 10 hours a day on it.


Sarah Dunant - currently on a book marketing tour in the USA according to her website. I have come to understand that marketing by authors is very important. I could devise a superb website to support my project I reckon.
.

This is the American bookcover - very nice too

No comments: