Saturday 15 August 2009

Last minute planning for Scotland trip

Up to now I haven't really thought much about the detail of the Scotland trip. In part this is because there have been considerable doubts about dates and timings. As these have slowly sorted themselves out, so the trip is perhaps coming more into focus.

I will be setting off early on Sunday morning with the aim of getting close to Fort William that day - maybe 500 miles? Then I am booked on a ferry to the southern tip of Skye early on the Monday morning. I will then head for Uig in the north of Skye, chosen largely at random. I am basing some plans on an article in the current issue of The Great Outdoors magazine where Cameron McNeish describes a long walk called the Skye Trail. I plan to see some of the northern bit of this around Duntulm and the Quinnaig. Then I plan a wild camping trip round the Elgol coastal path in the south west of Skye.
.
The Cuillin of Skye from the Elgol coastal path

Alternatively, I will push on further north towards Torridon and maybe Ullapool. This was the route I did back in the early 1990s. But it is clear that I am not fit enough to do a climb like Liathach that I did back then.

Liathach - whenever I see a picture of this I find it hard to believe I climbed this

It says in the paper today that it has rained in Skye for the past 30 days. So maybe a change is due for my trip. Or perhaps not!

No comments: