Friday 7 August 2009

Biographical project update

I am currently working on my project by a process of tackling some of the more difficult areas that will be involved in the project, notably the influence of astrology and magic versus what we would call science. Such thought is so divorced from current science that it is hard to really get into. And there has been something of an explosion of interest in these areas - presumably following on from such pioneers as Frances Yates. For instance, I have been looking through Benjamin Woolley's beautifully written biography of John Dee, The Queen's Conjuror. I would like the paperback edition of my book to be as good as this! Also on the current agenda - Pico della Mirandola and Robert Fludd. Not easy going reading in my view

So my projects bibliography continues to grow. Now 36 pages long! Recent additions include many articles for the journals History and Science and Archive for History of Exact Science accessible from the LSE library website. I am hoping to have a pretty complete bibliography in the next couple of months.

And some good news from the Radcliffe Science Library. When I went in there last week all my favourite books and journals had disappeared and there was a notice saying that many have been moved offsite while building work goes on elsewhere at the Bodliean. But it turns out that the material that I use most haven't in fact moved locations - instead they are just across in a new area from where they used to be. And after discussing this with the librarian, I am taught how to access the Oxford University ejournals. and how to print articles - already have a few that I can't get at LSE - for instance Judith Field's A Lutheran Astrologer: Johannes Kepler
.
The Radcliffe Science Library - the section where I usually sit!

Though rather dominated by the Pitt Rivers Museum, it is possible to take a nice photo of the outside of the RSL

Finally, a week after advice of despatch, Peter Marshall's The Mercurial Emperor has arrived. I have high hopes for this book as a "good-colour" account of the court of Rudolf II in Renaissance Prague. A surprising number of interesting people passed this way - Giordano Bruno, John Dee, Tycho Brahe and, of course, Kepler.
.
One of Archimboldo's vegetable portraits of Rudolf II (who actually commissioned the picture)

Some new book buying - reflecting healthy recent sales from my CD collection. Manily books on writing non-fiction and guides to pitching to publishers. I have satrted buying the various "writers" magazines that are published each month. Times are obviously hard for the publishing industry. Hopefully, by the time I am ready to pitch my ideas, things will look a lot better.

Inevitably, there are many new areas arising each day where I feel I know very little. The latest is to develop some understanding of Proclus and Neoplatonism. I own very little material of this it seems

And finally, I have a new favourite blog, the truly excellent "Stuck in a book". I shall be reading this in my spare time for much of the next few weeks I expect - perhaps rather ominously, it also contains links to loads of other book blogs - the address is http://stuck-in-a-book.blogspot.com/

No comments: