Sunday 30 August 2009

The backlog of ordered books begins to break

Iwas surprised to discover that there are about 8 book orders that remain to be filled at the moment. It has definitely been a quiet week for parcels in the mail. But in the last two days there has been a slight break in the log jam and three packages have arrived filled with good things

First up, William Clark's Academic Charisma and the Origins of the Research University. This was one of the books I spotted in Blackwells in London last Sunday and is just about the perfect book for me as far as subject matter goes at the moment. I am desperately excited about reading it and despite it not yet been September, I am already re-organising my planned work for next month to accommodate it

Secondly, Larsen's How to Write a Book Proposal, to compliment two existing books on broadly the same themes - Germano's Getting it Published and Lyon's Nonfiction Book Proposals. All good works for me to study now, at the very start of my projects.

Next up, Hannam's God's Philosophers: How the Medieval World laid the Foundations of Modern Science. Perhaps not the most scholarly book, but good enough. Just shows that there is room for books like this on a regular basis, despite the relatively unusual theme. Or perhaps I think that just because I am so familiar with it's contents. I suspect that detailed reading might annoy me, but I have to also note that this book does show what can be published. His biography notes that he has a PhD in History of Science, but says little else. He is not a scholar as such. So perhaps I should consider this wholly positively - as a model for the publication of books not unlike my own project
.
Nice cover I thought
.
Finally, Munday's Introducting Translation Studies. I know virtually nothing about this subject and was surprised by the large literature I have quickly uncovered. I have little idea what contribution this will make to my own plans but it is clearly in the areas where my current concerns lie. Am looking forward to starting this one in a few week's time.
.
A re-discovery of a band in my current music listening - Godspeed you black emperor. I don't think I have heard anything by them for five or six years. But I have thoroughly enjoyed Lift your skinny fists . . and Yanqui U.X.O. again. And I was surprised to discover that I have copies of Slow Riot and Tiny Silver Hammers. Should be a good bit of listening for the next few days

No comments: