Tuesday 30 June 2009

What I did on Tuesday - a short version

Finished reading Helge Kragh's Introduction to the Historiography of Science. I remember being very excited about this when I first stumbled upon it at LSE and had flicked through it then without really studying it in detail. Then a guide to the Cambridge MSc in History of Science suggested that it wasn't that good a book and I didn't look at it again till now. But I wanted this week to read something serious that wasn't just an article. It was a toss-up between Kragh and Voelkel's The Composition of Kepler's Astronomia Nova (which I might well read next). I have actually quite enjoyed Kragh's book. Lots of fairly reasonable points made it seemed to me. A good framework for the thinking I have been doing about scientific biography. And good to rattle off a book in two days. I shall now wait a week or so and return to it in more detail.

Trading has continued well, though implied vol on options continues to drift down when I would prefer it to stay higher. Fourth trade added today, the last in the August option series. Next week will move onto the September contract. 3.5% profit in two weeks. 145% per annum - would that I could keep that up for the next couple of years! I have even bought a couple of books on spread betting - mainly to critique rather than learn from I suspect.

Temperature remains high (and rising). Best part of the day for me is very early morning - 5:00 a.m to about 10:00 a.m, when I get most of my day's work out of the way.

More exercise today - in the last week I have done more than in the year to date. Just a hint that it is starting to make some difference.

Late afternoon spent considering Aristarchus's proof that the Sun was much bigger than the Earth. And I've started on Voelkel's book on Kepler.

No comments: