Monday 22 June 2009

A quiet Sunday - lots of small things

The Sunday Times features an article about people addicted to shopping - even in the so-called "credit crunch". For some reason, all three people featured are women. I would guess that the male equivalent is gambling or internet usage? One of the women noted how her husband had tried repeatedly to "reason" with her but she was out of control, and this ultimately doomed the relationship. It seems to me that failure to respond to reasoning could be a key aspect of many "irreconcilable differences".

Still working through a pile of press cuttings from the last few months and hit upon a series of booklets from the Independent on "Love and Sex". One covered grief and noted that grief is the flip side of caring for someone - if we didn't care, we wouldn't grieve. The exact quote - "heartbreak is a sign of life . . . the terrible price that true love demands"

Clearing out articles from Trail and various other walking and climbing magazines, I came across several articles of climbing Mera Peak. This is the "treking peak" in Nepal that I would like to climb one day. It occurs to me that I have probably never been as far away from achieving this as I am now. A sad thought.

Reading Is there a book in You? I was surprised (but also pleased) to discover that most non-fiction books don't get place with publishers via agents. My consideration of writing about Kepler is at the stage where I am planning what my pitch to write such a book would say. A 500 word pitch document is one of my next priorities to work on.

Several calls from Emma - slightly lost on the way to Holborn, not sure what to do about a dress she bought in a sale, and a mid-evening call just because she is on her own in her flat tonight and wanted one last chat before her big day on Monday. We all have our fingers crossed that it will go well for her.

No comments: