Friday 26 June 2009

A couple of good days, then one less so

The good things of the last few days include:

Emma getting a first in her second year exams at Cambridge - as good as things get I reckon.

Emma settling into her new job in London ok and making a good first impression - with the accompanying possibility of a permanent job when she finishes college.

A day spent working through all the academic articles I have collected over the last year and creating 10 files for my "secret project". For the first time since perhaps January I have actually enjoyed some element of "flow" - where work comes so easily that it doesn't seem like work anymore.

The first few trades are paying off and have made a return of about 1.5% in the last two weeks - accompanied by the feeling that this might (and I repeat might) lead to another model of how things might go in the future.

Buying a few books at bargain secondhand prices - the Best of Lingua Franca and Jardine's The Birth of History and Philosophy of Science.

Finding out that Oxford Uni DCE was running evening courses in 2009/10 on the Philosophy of Mathematics, the History of Mathematics and even a 20 week course on writing biography. A perfect selection for me at the moment

A dream in which I was working as a writer - a box of hardback books arrives, 450 pages long, with a fine set of photos in the middle.

Listening to Tinariwen (who have a new cd out next week) and an old cd of Will Oldham on a Dutch radio show performing four long religious songs

And the less good things:

An odd feeling of a deep swelling up of depression such as I haven't felt for a couple of years. Not clear as to the reason. At the time it occurred (and it occurred quickly) I was watching the double episode finale of season 8 of Scrubs, my favourite show of the last few years. Could it really be that this episode alone could trigger such an event? - seems unlikely to me. But for the moment, all I want to do is sleep.

No comments: