Monday 4 May 2009

Weekend work

A bank holiday today. Oddly enough, Emma still has lectures at college. And extremely rarely, she has sent me one of her econometrics papers to have a look at. It is a dense and technical piece and I am only able to contribute because it is about smoking and I know lots about that from my days at Imperial Tobacco.

There are loads of people at the allotments today - including Dave the Builder who is plumbing in new water supplies to his end of the allotment. This involves digging a narrow trench two spade widths deep, something that takes him more or less all day. He offers to plumb in a new tank for us if we do the digging. Not sure if I will be able to persuade my neighbours that this is a good idea.

Saturday's work has resulted in some cleared areas and a dug up area big enough for four of the trees. It has been back-breaking work to get to this stage and even with today's work I am not optimistic of getting the remaining trees in very soon (which is not good for them at all)

And there is loads of work to do with planting out that is getting left at ther moment - everyone around me has loads of new stuff going in. I am suffering from allotment envy


Today's "before" picture - not as effective as if I had taken it before doing the fencing, building the gate or brush-cutting and digging the spot for the fruit trees

Hardly deserves the phrase "after" - three fruit trees planted, staked, manured and protected from rabbits - two cherries and a pear
Now this is a proper "before" picture. Lots of new year growth to the east of the polytunnel. Somewhere in the middle there are two current bushes and a gooseberry. Hopefully this will inspire me to clear this area soon to produce the "after" picture

No comments: