Thursday 7 May 2009

21st Anniversary

We are marking our 21st anniversary with a nice meal tonight and a trip to see the new Star Trek movie this weekend. Linda was out most of today teaching her instructor course. I have had a pretty quiet day. Still doing 6 hours work per day for my PH400 exam, but with the weather remaining cold, I haven't done much at the allotment lately. So a short trip to Oxford this morning and then lots more reading - oh, and I made 4 creme brulees, my newest speciality desert.

Non-academic reading remains Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" and Mark E Simth's "Renegade" - both excellent. Music has been two new live recordings of the Yonder Mountain String Band, Boris's "Feedbacker" and the slow working through of the Rasputina discography that I downloaded a while back.

Newest downloads - the complete Fall discography and 54 albums by Johnny Cash (inspired by Huw's favorable comments)

"A Random Blast from the Past"

April 15th 1982

I crashed the car today - that sounds rather macho, but isn't because the crash was 100% someone else's fault. I was driving Huw home from Bone's. We drove up the main road and letched at Sarah Phillips from behind, then went round the clock tower and back down the main road so we could letch at her from the front. Then off down Queen's Road and right, into Siddley Avenue.

On cornering near Willoughby Avenue, a gas van that had been coming to a halt at the junction suddenly pulled straight out in front of us. I couldn't miss it and we were shunted across the road, through someone's garden wall, coming to a halt on their lawn. I remember the windscreen shattering but then the next thing I remember is standing outside the car talking quite calmly to someone. Someone called the police, and it was soon after that I felt blood gushing from a deep cut on my head. Soon afterwards we are taken to Warwick hospital where I have 14 stitches in my head. Huw was unscathed

Later this evening we met up at the pub. Huw had been seen in the ambulance and was surrounded by concerned females. I, who had been lying down on a stretcher and so not seen, got far less sympathy. Not fair at all in my view - even though I have the major head wound.

So the car has been written off and Dad is already planning what sort to get next. My suggestion of an MG has not been accepted

Addendum

Still the only car crash I have ever been in. I can't remember who Sarah Phillips was, we obviously rather liked her though.

No comments: