Monday 30 March 2009

PH 400 revision, Throwing Muses and allotment work

After a really enjoyable week working on PH404, History of Science, is is time to turn my attention to my other course, PH400, Philosophy of Science. This is perhaps my least favorite subject on the MSc, mainly because of it being the closest to my first degree. Also, it has to be admitted that I remain strongly opposed to the "received view" in P of S, focused as it is on confirmation theory and having little or no connection with the history of science. But the work has to be done and I have now main a start

For the first time in ages I had a look through the current offerings on dimeadozen - it has been many weeks since I last had a look here. One highlight that I did find today was a recent show by Throwing Muses. It seems that Kristin Hersh is now adopting a pattern of doing the occasional TM show. I used to follow what she was up to quite closely (as part of the sort of reading that also covered Fripp at DGMlive). But it had passed me by that there might be more TM shows taking place. The TM show I saw a couple of years ago was a real highlight of that year.

A few things could be said to be now growing at the allotment. I have cleared out the old cold frames and a substantial collection of seeds of various sorts are settled in place - together with one or two packs of grown-on stuff acquired at Millets as a bit of insurance. I am suffering from the two classic forms of allotment stress - will I get enough ground clear to grow things in and, if I do, will anything grow. This will continue until the allotment looks lush in July, if not for longer

Seeds and some small plants in the cold frames

Strawberries going in to the newly-cleared raised bed

Some fence posts marking my new border and suggested pathway. Fencing always takes such a long time but is surprisingly satisfying work

No comments: