Monday 8 December 2008

Weekend work - planning next term

No much work done this weekend. I didn't arrive back until late on Friday and only unpacked the most valueable things from the car. So I spent the first few hours of Saturday unloading the rest of the stuff on a bitterly cold morning that resulted in very numb hands.

Much of my work is still focused on collecting interesting articles, organising them into something like a useable database, and even reading the odd one. My current journal is Social Studies of Science. After this I plan to finish with the US journal Philosophy of Science and then that will be it for a while. Next year will be about reading everything I've found and as many of the newest books as I can do.

As part of my increasing interest in academia, I have started to re-read The History Man. I was alos able to find a download of it on the internet. I have been looking at the question of journal publication with a view of maybe doing something with my Aristotle, Galileo and Newton "thought experiment" paper. There are some short sections in one or two of the PhD books that I have, but really nothing like the level of info I really need. Another book that I have been enjoying recently, which contains quite a lot on the general background to these themes is Tony Becher's Academic Tribes and Territories. I plan to read more of this over Christmas as well as re-reading Marjorie Garber's Academic Instincts. I wonder what other books there might be on these sorts of themes?

Music today is a bit gentler that recently. I have finished REM on my ipod and am now onto Rachel's - one of the oddest band names I know. Currently album playing is Selenography to be followed by Systems/Layers, before I reach Radiohead. It should be time for a new Rachel's album by now - not that they were ever very prolific.

No developments on my plan to sell off a couple of hundred unwanted cds. Maybe another Christmas project.

So this is my last week at LSE for this term. Progress has been enormous and I have learned a huge amount. It has been all I wanted, and has opened my eyes to many other possibilities. Lots to think about. One downside just discovered is that next term's timetable is nowhere near as good as this terms for me. In other words, the really efficient plan of going down for just one day (and occasionally two) doesn't work next term. So I will be missing alot if I stay home - but that is definitely the best plan I think.

No comments: