Wednesday 3 December 2008

Tuesday at LSE

Lots of books to return to the library today - the lasting effects of the splurge in book borrowing a few weeks ago. One that was due back was a book on Feyerabend. I had been hoping to borrow "Enemy of Science" about Feyerabend but an LSE academic has it at the moment till late February - maybe that was the person who requested the book I had to return. I have read quite a bit of Feyerabend these last few months and continue to be very favourably disposed towards him. Linda has agreed to buy me "Enemy of Science" for Christmas - I had baulked at the £34 price tag.
.
So in keeping with my plan to have more pictures on this blog, here are two of Paul Feyerabend - what a guy!
John Worrall's lectures on the History of Science were down to about 6 people from the 20 we started with and I am seriously considering giving it a miss. Today we were going the contradictions between Kepler and Galileo's law with respect to Newton. Anne Marie was then given the H of S seminar on the same theme - with a Popper Aim of Science Slant. Anne Marie is definitely the quietest on our course - I'm note sure if she has ever made a point in one of the seminars. Her "facebook" page does seem to talk about how much work she is doing. I missed her dissertation seminar last week as it was on Friday - a shame as I would have liked to hear what she is planning.
.
Lunch with Leonardo which was good fun. I was pushing my thesis that we should all be reading very widely and not the actual course readings. Not sure if he really bought the idea. We spent an hour in the Philosophy Dept common room looking at a "Thought experiment" that I thought of during the seminar this morning.
.
A quiet afternoon reading articles and having a walk to Charing Cross Road for a break. Had a quick chat with Femke before tonight's lecture. She said she had been mainly working on her dissertation over the last few weeks. She is going with some variation on her Kant idea. P of S tonight was on the D-N model of explanation - not one of my favorite topics. I had hoped Jacob would have been around tonight as he'd said the Clare Market Review magazine had gone to print and was due back this week. I am very keen to see what I look like in print.
.
Reading a book on PhDs tonight - the one I bought last weekend. I do have a couple of other books on this theme and would like to read a bit of those too. Too tired on the coach to read anything tonight - and a late night stop at Tescos for cat litter. Our cats have to stay in tonight as they are off to the vets tomorrow.

No comments: