Sunday 28 December 2008

Current Reading

I seem to have a huge amount of on-going reading at the moment.

Firstly, there is the Rowland biography of Giordano Bruno that I am reading to get a flavour for how I might seek to describe Bruno if I get selected to give the talk in the US. This is not a particularly scholarly biography, but it does have good colour. This will then be followed by biographies/more-scholarly works related to Clavius and Tycho

Then there is Marjorie Jones's Frances Yates and the Hermetic Tradition. Again, not a very scholarly book, but the only avaliable biography of Yates. Also Jones returned to college aged 45 after twenty-odd years working in finance and this book is the result. So there are precedents for what I'd like to do.

Several "Very Short Introductions" are currently on the go. The one on History I read a few weeks ago but am now taking notes from, other current reads include Foucault (whose approach to history I am exploring a little), Poststructuralism (about which I know very little), Science and Religion (which is a topic for next term) and The Renaissance (which I feel I know very little about)

From the online Stanford philosophical encyclopaedia, articles on Duhem & Erasmus

A new book for Christmas - The Worst Enemy of Science - Essays in memory of Paul Feyerabend - mainly the personal, rather than academic, chapters at the moment

Finally, my "light-hearted" reading is Sokal & Bricmont's Intellectual Impostures - always good fun.

No comments: