Sunday 26 October 2008

When I'm not studying

The end of British Summer Time and the clocks have gone back an hour. An extra hour of sleep or an extra hour to study? Or maybe a compromise of lying in bed reading something vaguely philosophical - in today's case Ted Honderich's Philosopher A way of Life.

Alternatively there is the new John Peel book that I read a bit of last night. Oddly this collection of his writings is in alphabetical order rather than chronological. Not sure this is a good idea. Also, there is the suggestion that they have left out a lot of early writings they could have included from the late 1960s. This would be a shame - I for one rather like his Gandalf's Garden period. "Clouds are poems written in the sky . . . " Great stuff

While I work, I am, of course, listening to loads of music. Current favorite themes include a selection of "death metal" tracks - albums by Napalm Death, Nile, Carcass, etc. But also another collection of cds by Ravi Shankar, and some of the less well known Grateful Dead studio albums ("Aoxomoxoa", "Blues for Allah", "Wake of the Flood" etc). I am trying to download a recording of the 1966 Pico Acid Test which I am really looking forward to hearing.

But all this study has meant that I haven't done many jobs at home - the rest of the garage clearance and the decoration of Linda's study. Not sure when this will happen

And I remain very concerned about the health of Mum who is perhaps getting worse rather than better and has a really busy week coming up which she'll find very taxing.

No comments: