Wednesday 29 October 2008

Thoughts on an article and Antique dealing

I felt quite inspired this morning by the thought of the Taleb article for the Clare Market Review. Prior to departing for Birmingham, I had a quick 40 minutes of brain storming writing in which I outlined perhaps two-thirds of what I might have wanted to cover in the article - using the free flowing approach outlined in some of the writing guides I have been looking at. So almost every word spelt incorrectly - will I be able to unscramble it later?

The email I received yesterday from Jacob confirming the article plan enclosed a Tony Lawson article that is also intended for the first issue. This is 4000 words, which is quite considerably longer than I had thought articles would be, but I could definitely do something comparable. So I have sorted out some possible extra reading over and above The Black Swan, in particular, the paper from Taleb's website on the problem of the non-observability of probability distributions, and his fourth quadrant essay (the basis for the lecture he gave at LSE the other week)

There was a flurry of snow here last night and quite a good coverage on the Cotswolds which I passed over on the way to mum's. Today's car listening was dominated by Gallon Drunk - so often I return to their particular brand of swamp music

So today was vetting day at the NEC, prior to the start of the four day antique fair. As always I am keen to gauge the level of prosperity in the industry. Antique dealers are a notoriously negative bunch, but there is a clear sense that things are really tough at the moment (as one would expect). I had a long chat with Judy Pollitt, who is usually pretty upbeat, but even she was quite down about things. The fair was also up in arms about some proposed changes to next years stand plans. These were taken as being strongly negative to the second tier stands (of which mum's is one). Complaints from everyone. Mum gets somewhat stressed from this, but overall seems well set for the fair. But I am beginning to think I should suggest that maybe 2009 be her last full year.

A long chat later with Andy, the oriental dealer. He seems to be doing ok at the moment. He had a carved stone burial piece that I was very interested in - 11th century he claimed. But a bit expensive at £375 (which includes my trade discount)

A very negative end to the day however, with a series of complaints delivered and responded to. The excitement I felt early on largely dissappated as I was remindered yet again of some big differences in the way our lives are seen by each of us. Lots to ponder on again, and I can tell that I will find this pondering hard.

By contrast, the good news about the possible article was not shared - and the fact that it wasn't is also a source of some negative views on my part.

No comments: