Friday 15 August 2008

Working on an academic paper

Most of today's detailed study was spent making notes on John Worrall's paper The Scope, Limits and Distinctiveness of the Method of "Deduction from the Phenomena": Some Lessons from Newton's "Demonstrations" in Optics. He is the professor who heads up my MSc course and indeed had been at LSE when I was there in the early 1980s, though I didn't actually see much of him at that time.

Much of my currently reading is of a reasonably high academic standard but I was keen to study an academic paper in some detail as part of my prep work for my own study. The main outcome was that I found the paper reasonably straightforward to review and take notes on, which only a couple of very technical arguments that I felt it worth glossing over. I wonder how long a paper like this would have taken him to produce - there are some references to it having been developed over several years. But how much effort would it really have taken? 15 hours a week for a month, two months, six months . . . ?

One of my longer term goals is to publish something in a properly refereed academic journal. Can it really be so hard?

No comments: