Friday 22 August 2008

Travelling through France - Day 2

I am getting better at sleeping in the car. Last night I carefully created a cover for the hand brake and also a better pillow. So a fairly decent night's sleep. Awake around 6:00 in time to see Orion just rising ahead of the sun. This is the first time I have seen Orion since the winter and the earliest I have seen it during a year for many years (since I would be out camping or fishing in the early morning)

I have decided on my final route to Cherbourg and will be going north via Cahor and Limoges. I got to Cahor about 8:00am and spent a very pleasant hour or so reading about the creation of the Galileo tomb in Santa Croce that I had seen the few days earlier. The attempts to compare Galileo with Michelangelo were very interesting arguments - you would have expected someone like Galileo to have never had a monument in a Catholic church.

Time for a bit of a walk round Cahor, though this was my third visit of the summer.


The famous fortress bridge in Cahor


Local Cahor wine - a major theme of my wine buying today


My wine buying today was centered on the Carrefour supermarket on the edge of Cahor. I selected 30 or 40 bottles today, mainly local Cahor reds, but also some Bordeaux wines, etc. Then just north of Cahor I came across a local product centre and bought another 18 bottles of "black wine" - really looking forward to having this when I get home.

Chateau for sale north of Cahor

Lunched at another really beautiful picnic area / service station near Limoges. Pate, cheese, melon and bread from the supermarket this morning. And more reading from my current Galileo book.


Limosin cows near the service station


The downside of this route was that I would have to drive about 80km on relatively small, non-motorways. I could have done this tomorrow but decided to try and get it over with this afternoon, and it was very hard going. So Limoges to Poitier was not my favourite bit of the journey.

Past Poitier and towards Le Mans, the number of really nice Service areas seemed to drop and for a while I was having trouble finding somewhere adequate to spend the night. Eventually setted in somewhere just north of Le Mans. Only about 200km to go to Cherbourg now.

Not the nicest overnight stopping point

No comments: