Friday 22 August 2008

Pulling things together

After a couple of days recovering from the journey back from Italy, and faced with the potentially depressing issue of my MSc timetable, I have, finally, begun to pull things together a bit more.

Over the last two days, I have been reading Owen Gingerich's The Book Nobody Read which has kept my enthusiasm high - it is not a very academic book, but is quite a thriller in its way. It reminds me of the Johnny Depp film, The Ninth Gate in a way. Indeed, as a result, we watched this film last night.

I am now feeling far more positive about the timetabling issue. I now plan to do the Philosophy of Science course in my first year and leave History of Science till year two when I should be able to work virtually full time on it. Philosophy of Mathematics will be my third subject (if it is offered in 2009/10) and I will try and attend some seminars for the other courses if possible. As part of my de-cluttering of the garage, I have found some back copies of the British Journal for Philosophy of Science which I am going to have a skim through, and I have bought a copy of John Losee's A Historical Introduction to Philosophy of Science, which is not too long and should bring me up to date with broad issues.

And hopefully, I will remain sufficiently motivated to keep doing my notes on all my recent reading in History of Science.

It should also be said that part of my motivation for this has come from Wolf's Treehouse, where the issue of following your passions is addressed at some length. The MSc is my passion and I don't want the experience to be tarnished in any way.

No comments: