Sunday 10 August 2008

The Offer has been accepted

After a week or so of reviewing everything, I have sent off my documents to accept my MSc place at the LSE. But there are so many complex issues related to the MSc that I have little idea how it will work out in practice. This is due to issues related to work during the same period. My summer project has not been as successful as we might have hoped and I need to find some other work over the winter. This will inevitably encroach on the MSc and may even threaten it completely. Hopefully not but much to think about in the meantime.

I finished Drake's book on Galileo and am about to start on IB Cohen's Birth of a New Physics. Lots of books keep arriving in the post at the moment after I had a splurge of buying of second hand books related to the MSc. One is Cohen's Newtonian Revolution, which I remember reading in the LSE library years ago. The guy who sent it to me runs a second hand book store in Wallingford and says he has just bought a load of history of science books that used to be in the library of a professor from Rotterdam University. I don't have time to visit this shop before we leave for Italy, but it will be an essential trip when I get back. I am particularly keen to find a copy of Alexandre Koyre's Galilean Studies

So tomorrow we depart for a few weeks in Italy and despite having a load of books already in Italy (the car is currently parked at Pisa airport), I have slipped another half dozen into my bag - mainly MSc related stuff of course.

No comments: